Canadian Farm Builders Award Winners
The Canadian Farm Builders Association presented the Builder Awards for 2018 projects at their Annual Conference held in Stratford, Ontario, February 28th, 2019. The Awards program recognizes and honours CFBA members with the best 2018 project in each of nine categories, with two of the categories being projects for horses based on the building cost for the completed project. Horse I (project value up to $750,000) and Horse II (project value over $750,000) are for an on-farm facility for the accommodation of horses including stables, training arenas, and tack rooms, etc. A Project of the Year Award for best overall project was also presented.
In the equine categories, here are the 2018 winners and their project highlights:
HFH Inc. – Horse I Award
- 10-stall horse barn with large connecting link and 80x180-foot riding arena.
- Barn houses 8 full-size stalls and 2 standing stalls for foals, groom stall, wash stall, barn office.
- Connecting link contains bathroom, mechanical room, large feed room with laundry, tack room with custom cabinets and closets, viewing lounge with kitchenette. Large hay and shavings storage.
- In-floor heat with full HRV system for air handling including air conditioning and additional fresh air delivered high above stalls. Sound system throughout barn.
- Shingled barn roof with 60-inch cupola in centre peak, two 30-inch cupolas for chimney exhaust venting.
- Hardwood ash on all stall walls; pine on ceilings and interior rooms.
- Custom-size windows with Dutch door entrance door, overhead doors for the remainder of exterior doors, and pine interior doors.
- Arena is full foundation with stud wall, steel roof with Agriplus insulation and bird screening over venting windows.
Dutch Masters Design & Construction Services – Horse II Award
- One-of-a-kind “round” stable with attached arena.
- 4 oversized stalls with interchangeable mini-gate.
- Custom stall hardware made to fit unique shape.
- Steel-framed arena 80x180-foot with high vaulted ceiling.
- Large windows utilizing overhead doors for ventilation.
- Spacious wash and tack bays, high windows for natural light.
- Finish materials and timber details coordinate with new house.
- Custom cabinets and feed bins.
Other Category Winners:
- HFH Inc. – Project of the Year, Dairy, Poultry, Swine, Farm Storage, Commercial/Institutional, Hobby/Recreational
- POST Farm Structures – Other Livestock
- Bender Contracting Inc. – Swine
For more information and photos, visit www.CFBA.ca.
HFH Inc. – Horse I Award Winner.
This article was originally published in the Early Summer 2019 issue of Canadian Horse Journal.