By Diane David, Executive Director
For the first time in several years, Norma and Kevin Will of Carrol, Manitoba hosted a Horse Trials competition, which ran August 6 to 8, 2022. Organized by Dianna Fraser, the back-to-back competition had beginners to training riders competing in dressage, stadium, and cross-country both days. The cross-country courses were set up by Sydney Fraser, Emma Tarves judged the dressage, and Eric and Danae Martin took care of stadium jumping. As well as great competition both days, everyone enjoyed a fall supper on Saturday night at the awards presentation. It was fun to be part of the weekend, and thanks from all the participants to the hosts and the crew. Eventing is alive and well in Manitoba, with a subsequent event held August 20 to 21 at the MHC Equestrian Facility in Birds Hill Park.
Upcoming Manitoba Coaching Dates
The MHC website is always the most up-to-date place to find out information about upcoming courses, how to become an Equestrian Canada (EC) certified coach and get an EC licensed coach status.
Here are some of the opportunities we are offering this fall:
- September 16: Camp Registration deadline
- September 19: English Coaching & License Information Session with Tristan Caswell, English Competition Coach Evaluator — Mandatory for English Camp participants but open to all
- September 26: Western Rider Level & Coaching Information Session with Betty-Ann McPhedran, Master Coach Developer — Mandatory for Western Camp participants but open to all
- October 1-2: In-person Coaching Camp, Eastman area. A slate of valuable sessions covering the theory skills which are essential for those going forward for Coach Evaluation, e.g., Emergency Action Plan, Writing a Lesson Plan, Yearly Training Plan, etc. Multi-level sessions for Instructor, Competition Coach, and Competition Coach Specialist. Includes in-person lunging opportunities. Provincial grants may be available to registrants.
- Starting October 9 and running almost weekly through until February 5: Zoom sessions covering the following topics, many of which are essential learning for Coach Evaluation:
- Managing Your Equine Coaching Business, English Lunging, English Tack & Boots, Safe Sport, Bandaging, Conformation, General Unsoundness, Unsoundness of the Hoof, Equine Ulcers, Teeth & Dentistry, Nutrition, Western Tack & Boots, Western Lunging, Trailering Safety.
- See MHC’s website for the full schedule and registration details. PD points available for EC Certified Coaches.
- October 21: Coaching Evaluation Deadline
- November 28-29: English Coaching Evaluation at Westwind Stable
- December 5: Coach Appreciation event, Sport Manitoba, 145 Pacific Avenue, Winnipeg
- December 10: Tentative English Coach Update
- February 4, 2023: Tentative Western Coach Update
- February 26-27, 2023: Western Coach Evaluation
Photo Courtesy of Manitoba Horse Trials