Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Equestrian Event Cancellations and Horse Industry Updates
In an effort to reduce the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19), the cancellation of equestrian events within Canada and the United States has only just begun. The extent of the economic impact on the equestrian industry is yet to be determined. With government-mandated bans and warnings from the World Health Organization of the seriousness of this pandemic, many organizations are left with no choice but to cancel or postpone their events, while others are taking a pro-active approach to protect the community.
Here is a chart demonstrating how we can work together to reduce the spread of COVID-19...
- ACTION REQUESTED: Survey for Equine Farms/Equestrian Facilities, March 26, 2020
- Support and Resources for Equine Farms and Equestrian Facilities, Equestrian Canada, March 26, 2020
- Equestrian Canada Statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19), Equestrian Canada, Updated March 30, 2020
Federation Equestre Internationale
- FEI to create task forces to deal with impact of COVID-19, Equestrian Canada, March 25, 2020
- FEI Recommends Cancellation of FEI Events Due to Coronavirus
Industry Partners and National/Provincial Organizations
- CapriCMW - Covid-19 Open Letter and FAQs, March 17, 2020
- Ontario Riding Facilities are Urged to Close Immediately, Ontario Equestrian, March 17, 2020
- Ontario Racing COVID-19 Aid Package Anounced, March 27, 2020 - Financial relief, a total of $300 per horse, is being offered to those involved with Standardbred racehorses who were in-to-race at operational racetracks from March 19 to March 24.
Notable Equestrian Events Cancelled So Far in Canada and Around the World, due to Coronavirus...
The following information is current as of 8:35pm PST, April 5, 2020, and will be updated regularly.
- Postponed: HCBC Annual General Meeting postponed to November 7, 2020
- Cancelled: HCBC Equine Education Summit (BCEES)
- Cancelled: HCBC Spring Board of Directors March 28 Meeting
- Cancelled: HCBC and EC Sanctioned Competitions, Events, & Clinics, effective March 16, 2020
- Postponed: Heritage Classic Cutting Horse Show, new date TBA, due to closure of Chilliwack Heritage Park until May 31, 2020
- Cancelled: Kamloops Cowboy Festival, March 19-22
- Closed: Southlands Riding Club Closed, effective March 16, 2020
- Cancelled: Thunderbird Show Park Season Opener, April 22 - 26, 2020 - "Under the circumstances of this pandemic, we regretfully must cancel our season opener tournament at the end of April...This is not how we wanted to start our season off, but this virus is bigger than anything else right now and we want to do our part to help in the prevention of large gatherings that may facilitate any spread of this."
- Cancelled: Alberta Equestrian Federation activities and events, effective March 16, 2020
- Modified: Alberta Equestrian Federation Annual General Meeting, March 21, 2020 - 3:00-4:00pm via Zoom webinar - learn how to participate
- Cancelled: Calgary Stampede Chuckwagon Canvas Auction and Aggie Days, March 19 and April 1 - 5, 2020, respectively
- Cancelled: The Mane Event, April 24-26, 2020 -"It is with great sadness and regret that we must announce The Mane Event scheduled to take place at Westerner Park, in Red Deer AB...has been cancelled."
- Cancelled: Royal Manitoba Winter Fair - "Due to current health concerns the Provincial Exhibition Board of Directors has made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 Royal Manitoba Winter Fair. "
- Cancelled: Spruce Meadows Winter Farewell and Spring Welcome, March 19-22, 2020 - "In its daily situation review, the Spruce Meadows Organizing Committee and the Spruce Meadows Crisis Management Committee have arrived at the decision to cancel the 2020 Spruce Meadows Spring Welcome Tournament scheduled for March 19-22.Please email the Tournament Office at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions." For updates on further Spruce Meadows events, check back here or visit their website.
- Closed: Manitoba Horse Council Office, until further notice
- Cancelled: Bromont Horse Trials and Bromont Little Trials, June 3 - 7 and June 13, 2020, respectively
- Cancelled: Canadian Warmblood Horse Breeders Association (CWHBA) National AGM - "The March 20-22, AGM has been cancelled due to uncertainty around the the corona virus and the low number of registrants able or planning to attend. The AGM will be held via video conference at a date to be determined later this spring."
- Cancelled: Caledon Equestrian Park - all April 2020 events
- Cancelled: Can-Am All Breed Equine Expo, April 3-5, 2020 - "It is with our deepest regret to announce that the Can-Am Equine Expo, on April 3-5, 2020, at the Markham Fairgrounds, has been cancelled due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). We will provide updates and information in the next coming days. Thank you for your patience and understanding."
- Cancelled: Uxbridge Horsemen's Association Side Saddle Clinic and Annual General Meeting, March 29 and April 7, respectively
- Closed: Equestrian Canada Office, effective March 16, 2020
- Closed: Ontario Equestrian Office, Activities, and Events, effective March 17
- Closed: Woodbine Race Track Closed, Live Harness Racing to Continue with no Spectators
- Cancelled: New Brunswick Equestrian Association Suspends all Activities/Events, effective March 16, 2020
- Cancelled: The 2020 Para-Dressage Video Competition Series
- Cancelled: ARCI Annual Racing Integrity & Equine Welfare Conference, April 7-12, 2020
- Cancelled: American Quarter Horse Association 2020 AQHA Convention, March 13-16, 2020
- Cancelled: Back Country Horsemen of Washington Rendezvous, March 20-22, 2020
- Cancelled: Desert International Horse Park, March 11-12, 2020
- Cancelled: Equine Affaire - Columbus, OH, April 11, 2021
- Cancelled: Event Rider Masters (ERM) 2020 Series Cancelled Due to Corona Virus Impact
- Cancelled: FEI World Cup Finals in Las Vegas, April 15-19, 2020
- Cancelled: HITS Ocala Winter Circuit Cancelled After March 15, 2020
- Cancelled: Intercollegiate Horse Shows Association (IHS) Cancels Remainder of 2020 Competition Season
- Postponed: Kentucky Derby and Longines Kentucky Oaks, to September 5, and September 4, respectively
- Cancelled: Kentucky Three-Day Event and CSI* Invitational Grand Prix, April 23 - 26, 2020
- Cancelled: New York-Bred Divisional Champions Awards Banquet
- Cancelled: Northwest Horse Fair & Expo, March 20-22, 2020
- Suspended: All USEF owned events, selection trials, training camps, clinics, and activities, 30 day suspension, effective March 16, 2020
- Cancelled: Winter Equestrian Festival & Adequan Global Dressage Festival after March 15, 2020
- Cancelled: World Equestrian Center to Suspend Competition after March 15, 2020